Leadership Position Description
Type: Appointed by the Scoutmaster
Term: 1 year
Reports to: Scoutmaster
Description: The Instructor teaches Scouting skills.
Comments: The Instructor will work closely with both the Troop Guide and with the Assistant Scoutmaster for new Scouts. The Instructor does not have to be an expert but should be able to teach the Scoutcraft skills needed for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks. The troop can have more than one instructor.
Age: 14 or older
Rank: 1st Class or higher
Attendance: 50% over previous 6 months
Training: You must attend the troop Junior Leader Training even if you have attended in the past.
Attendance: You are expected to attend 75% of all troop meetings, Patrol Leaders’ Council meetings, outings, and service projects. If your attendance is low, or if you have three (3) unexcused absences in a row, you can be removed from office.
Effort: You are expected to given this job your best effort.
GENERAL LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
Uniform: Set the example by wearing your uniform correctly. This means that you will wear all of the parts of the troop uniform, shirttail tucked in, with all required badges in their correct locations.
Behavior: Set the example by living the Scout Oath and Law in your everyday life. Show Scout Spirit in everything you say and do.
Attendance: Set the example by being an active Scout. Be on-time for meetings and activities. You must call the Senior Patrol Leader or Scoutmaster if you are not going to be at a meeting or if you suddenly have to miss an outing. You also need to make sure that someone will assume your responsibilities.
- Teaches basic Scouting skills in troop and patrols.
SPECIFIC LEADERSHIP REQUIREMENTS/DUTIES:
- See list above
- Teaches at least 1 of the following classes:
- Project Leadership Training
- Firem’n Chit
- TOTIN’ CHIP
- Instructor to meet with Training Chair on a monthly basis to answer questions and make sure Scout is able to complete their elected position responsibilities. Instructor can also setup a meeting with Scoutmaster for help and support.
- Instructor to complete Troop 1537 Scout Leadership Position Summary.